Phones require face scans in Thailand’s Muslim Deep South

At first, Haslina Awae was willing to stop using a phone to avoid providing a scan of her face to the Thai government. Awae and other residents of Thailand’s Deep South, which comprise the three southernmost Malay-Muslim majority provinces of Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala, were required ...


Vietnam to issue rules on terrestrial mobile communication terminal devices

The Ministry of Information and Communications (MIC) last week held a webinar to assess the impacts of a draft circular on the national technical regulations on terminal devices of terrestrial mobile communication. According to the representative of the MIC’s Information Technology Department, the building of national technical regulations on ...

Samaya Dharmaraj

Panasonic turning up volume on Asian TV ops

Panasonic looks to build up to 50% more televisions in Asia outside Japan by fiscal 2020, taking advantage of low labor costs to churn out mass-market to top-of-the-line sets. The Japanese appliance manufacturer targets 3 million units of production capacity in the region by then. ...

Thailand's Dtac to offer 4G network with state firm

Thailand’s Total Access Communication, commonly known as Dtac, will join with state-owned telecom operator TOT to offer 4G wireless network services. Dtac will pay 4.51 billion baht ($132 million) annually to access 60% of TOT’s 2,300MHz spectrum, setting up 20,000 cell towers. The remaining 40% ...

TOT picks DTAC as partner for 4G-2.3GHz broadband service

TOT has selected Total Access Communication as partner to develop its fourth-generation wireless broadband service on the state telecom agency’s 2.3-gigahertz spectrum. According to DTAC’s filing to the Stock Exchange of Thailand on May 24, it will enter contract negotiations with TOT and expects to ...

Drop ICT tariffs to grow: study

Cambodia could add an additional $320 million to the economy over the next 10 years while increasing tax revenue by $24 million if it dropped its tariffs on information and communication technology (ICT), according to new research published yesterday.According to a study by the Washington-based ...

Ministry warns against ransomware computer virus

The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunication is warning internet users to protect themselves against the Wanna Cryransomware virus, which has already spread to many countries around the globe. According to a notice issued by the Ministry recently, the computer virus was detected in many countries ...

Bill endangers media survival

Prominent Media figures and rights activists are concerned whether the Thai media would survive suppression of press freedom in the wake of existing and future measures of the junta government. The source of the worry is the media regulation bill draft proposed by the junta-appointed ...

PM tries to calm fears on media regulation bill

NRSA panel chief wants online media to be included in licensing system. Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on April 27 attempted to allay fears over the controversial media regulatory bill, denying it was intended to restrict media freedom and calling for mutual trust between the media ...

Broadband internet: network operators miss out

Most network operators provide high-speed internet service with the speed of 20 Mpbs or more, but they still cannot satisfy demand for associated services such as IPTV, VOD, Video Conference and IP Camera. According to Internet World Stars, the number of internet users in 2017 in ...

Contact us

Contact us

Do you have questions on the content published by Open Development Mekong? We will gladly help you.

Have you found a technical problem or issue on the Open Development Mekong website?

Tell us how we're doing.

Do you have resources that could help expand the Open Development Mekong website? We will review any map data, laws, articles, and documents that we do not yet have and see if we can implement them into our site. Please make sure the resources are in the public domain or fall under a Creative Commons license.

File was deleted

Disclaimer: Open Development Mekong will thoroughly review all submitted resources for integrity and relevancy before the resources are hosted. All hosted resources will be in the public domain, or licensed under Creative Commons. We thank you for your support.

* The idea box couldn't be blank! Something's gone wrong, Please Resubmit the form! Please add the code correctly​ first.

Thank you for taking the time to get in contact!