EngageMedia is inviting digital rights advocates to kick off 2023 with a series of panel discussions, breakout sessions, and conversations with changemakers in the Asia-Pacific Digital Rights Forum, to be held from January 12 to 14, 2023.
The three-day event, which will be held in a hybrid format, aims to create online and physical spaces for changemakers to further discuss and collaborate on solutions to the region’s most pressing digital rights issues today. The digital rights themes, partnerships, and collaborations from the regional forum will be integral in shaping the upcoming Asia-Pacific Digital Rights Festival, to be held in Chiang Mai, Thailand, in May 2023.
The first two days will be held online and will focus on digital rights issues and themes most relevant for changemakers across the Asia-Pacific, as well as discussions on building regional solidarity. Participants can also expect to take an active role by sharing their insights in breakout sessions focusing on critical digital rights issues:
Day 1 Breakout Sessions
- Extremism & Hate Speech in the Asia-Pacific
- Unpacking Gender Justice
- Climate Justice and the Internet: The Asia-Pacific Context
- Digital Authoritarianism and its Impact in the Global South
- Understanding Data Justice
- Online Disinformation in the Asia-Pacific
Day 2 Breakout Sessions
- Online Media Freedom & Censorship in Asia
- Challenging Big Tech
- Youth Engagement on Digital Rights
- Digital Labour Situation in the Asia-Pacific
- Introduction to Digital Safety
- Open and Secure Technology Focus Group Discussion
The third day of the forum will feature parallel, in-person solidarity events in five locations:
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Jakarta, Indonesia
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Manila, Philippines
Participants will have the opportunity to meet other changemakers and delve deeper into the digital rights issues in their respective countries. At the end of the day, participants from the parallel, in-person events will have a chance to meet virtually and share their contexts, learnings, and actions with the wider group.