Laos eyes more sales of electricity to Cambodia

Laos may sell more electricity to Cambodia in order to power development needs in the border area.

An official at the Hat substation in Khong district, Mr Bounleud Keophasouk, told reporters on Tuesday when Deputy Minister of Energy and Mines Dr Sinava Souphanouvong visited the station that since last year 260MW had been transmitted to Cambodia’s Stung Treng province.

The electricity is generated by the Don Sahong hydropower plant in Khong district, Champassak province.

“The amount of electricity sold to Cambodia may increase in the future as the existing transmission line has the capacity to carry more energy. But I cannot say how much that might be at this point in time,” he said.

The investors in the US$500 million hydropower plant are a Malaysian company, Mega First Corporation Berhad, with an 80 percent share, while EDL-Gen (State-run energy giant Electricite du Laos Generation Public Company) holds the remaining 20 percent.

The Don Sahong dam is about 150km from Pakxe City in Champassak province and 830km south of Vientiane.

Keep reading

Khonesavanh Latsaphao